Amputee and odd leg position

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Amputee and odd leg position

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie,
Quick question on a hind leg amputation dog who is externally rotating the stifle and the digits, the hip is slightly externally rotated and abducted to hold the leg under her body. I was wondering if bracing would be a good option. I want to start strengthening but I am worried due to the angulation that she may injure her self. I have pictures if that would help. Thank you!
A.
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (470.84 KiB) Viewed 3888 times

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Amputee and odd leg position

Post by lehughes »

Hi A.,
The picture helps.
I do think you need to start strengthening. But very static and controlled exercises, while trying to position the leg correctly.
Also check the Sacroiliac joint and lumbar spine. Issues there can dramatically affect function in a 3-legged dog.
I'd hold off on any heavy duty brace. If anything, something of a light neoprene or even one of those Back On Track hock braces for dogs - almost more for proprioception. (You can add foam on the inside for support if needed).
I think the dog more or less needs to figure out how to move. UWT really is great for these. Maybe even standing in the tub filled with water or a pool and some cookie exercises to practice weight shifting.
Don't get too complicated. It looks like the dog just needs to learn how to position the leg, and how to balance and build strength in doing these things (with the leg in a proper position.)
I hope this helps!
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

David Lane

Post by David Lane »

If I may double underscore the suggestion to confirm that there is no SI or lumbar origin pain before pushing the strength training to any degree....
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

Vetgal83

Post by Vetgal83 »

So all she wanted to do is a soft tarsal brace. The dog gets regular chiropractic adjustments and I could not elicit pain. Owner feels how she walks is acceptable. Additionally, she has her in T-relief with extra strength arnica. I am assuming just document everything and follow up and make sure brace is helping and not creating pain. Any guide in T-relief or arnica, I don’t use these products.
Thanks

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Yeah... sometimes all you can do is document that the owner chose path XYZ.

As for arnica / R-relief, I'm not 100% sure of these products specifically in regards to dosing. I did a quick pubmed search which didn't help either. Nothing on dogs!
That being said, I remember when our clinic sold the Traumeel product by Heel(R). We purchased the dosing / guidebook as well. Turns out that you would dose a sow (full grown!) the same as a human, and just slightly more than a dog. So... dosing a 150lb person would be the same as a 600lb sow. Ipso facto, I believe there isn't much in the way of true guidelines or reasons for concern about overdosing (at this point in our knowledge on the substance / product).

Best of luck!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES