4 yo black lab/Bassett mix w/ R hind amp and old s/p TPLO on L!

Discussion related to the musculoskeletal system - injuries, post-op, lameness, extremity issues (joint, muscle, tenon, fascia...), axial skeleton issues, etc., as it relates to canine rehabilitation.
DancingDog

4 yo black lab/Bassett mix w/ R hind amp and old s/p TPLO on L!

Post by DancingDog »

Hi all- this dog is new to me, and I was thinking about core stability, teaching owner ROM and stretching and STM, especially for his fronts, and 1/2 way through eval learned about the old (relatively...he is only 4!) TPLO. I would welcome any thoughts around preventative bracing for the L knee for walks, play etc. I watched Laurie's video on working with TriPods and have some good ideas for that for the legs that are left, but what about that Stifle?
Thanks!

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: 4 yo black lab/Bassett mix w/ R hind amp and old s/p TPLO on L!

Post by lehughes »

Hey again!

So, I too would like to hear if others have had some first hand experience with this as well.

I would say no to a brace as a preventative measure. BUT, that is just based on the fact that dogs a re 60-40 front wheel drive. So with a rear end amputation, they're about 75-25. As such, I think they can do well. HOWEVER, you absolutely could argue that adding some protection would be wise if the dog like to go to off leash parks, or does goofy 'lab-type things'. In which case, a brace could be smart. The issue ends up being whether or not it impedes the movement and the dog's ability to get up and down or desire to move while using it.
So, it boils down to a 'personality' issue in my head - if he's goofy and resilient, then a brace might be very good. If he's a bit more timid and less of a 'coper', then he might not do well with a brace.
Does that make sense?

And for others, the Tripod Videos is Training Video 89 (OMG my hair looks so different! Hideous really!)

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

URUGUAY

Re: 4 yo black lab/Bassett mix w/ R hind amp and old s/p TPLO on L!

Post by URUGUAY »

With 3 leg dogs I usually do a combination of land exercises, mainly working with transitions (sit to stand to lay down), modalities( laser, TENS) with joint mobilizations at the affected knee, and tons or massage. We also add acupuncture to the treatments mainly if they have arthritis on the other supporting legs.