Neck brace

Discussion related to the nervous system (spinal cord, brain, or nerves), or other odd neurological issues as they pertain to canine rehabilitation.
URUGUAY

Neck brace

Post by URUGUAY »

I have a patient diagnosed with cervical lesion by the Neurology department at MSU, they recommend a neck brace.
Which company do you recommend?

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Neck brace

Post by lehughes »

Firstly, I'd wonder what kind of lesion?
I'd not brace anything (unless it's a fracture, and even then, casting might be a better option.)

If it's a disc, then I think it's 100% the wrong thing to do.
Traction, laser, acupuncture, grade 1 - 3 mobs (within tolerance), PEMF, maybe alpha stim too would all be better options. Discs need blood flow in order to resorb. Blood flow does not increase with immobilization.

Maybe others have used braces, but I never have!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

URUGUAY

Post by URUGUAY »

I am sorry I should have explained better, this is the information I got from MSU:
Hi Dr. Caraballo and Dr Rickett,

I am Maria Perez, Neurology Resident at MSU. Here I attached some of the MRI images of Mason’s study. The findings are very interesting but we need further imaging to achieve a definitive diagnosis. We suspect a AA malformation, not typical in large dogs but we see it sometimes, it could be congenital or traumatic. There are other lesions, we think they are secondary to that malformation and instability, and they affect the whole cervical spine (edema and CSF accumulation, maybe some spinal cord atrophy), could be due to an insufficient CSF flow and/or trauma associated with instability. I am going to call the owners and recommend a CT, but if they are a little concern about money, they may rather do cervical radiographs (under sedation, in flexion and extension) to start with.

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

OY! So this is even scarier!
I would be very leery to brace / immobilize this. Doing so will serve to only atrophy the adjacent muscles, which are the only things holding the dog's head on!

I had a dog where the neurologist did just this, when they took the brace off, the dog was MUCH worse, and was euthanized soon after.

I would suggest some gentle easy exercises - tiny cookie exercises (i.e. tiny movements up/down/side to side) to work small muscles. In fact, any neck muscle strenthening you could think of would be good. If the dog is food motivated enough have him go to take a treat from side to side, but apply a little resistant to the movement with your hand. Same for flexion / extension.

I'd laser the area as well, just for health of the tissues, & spinal cord. Can't hurt!

Good luck!!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES